Lindeth Howe Hotel Tours and Activities
Read MoreShow Less
Built in 1879, this 34-room hotel served as a vacation rental for the family of Beatrix Potter, the author and illustrator responsible for Peter Rabbit. Potter fell for Lindeth Howe and eventually went on to purchase the property. Inside, you can admire references to the hotel’s literary heritage, including a book wall and animal-inspired details.
Lindeth Howe is often visited as part of literary tours of the Lake District, which typically stop at other Beatrix Potter-related sights such as Hill Top Farm, Potter’s former home; the Beatrix Potter Gallery in Hawkshead; and the World of Beatrix Potter Attraction. Literary tours may also make stops at Dove Cottage and Rydal Mount, both former residences of Romantic poet William Wordsworth.
Things to Know Before You Go
- You can either visit the hotel for an hour, enjoy a traditional British afternoon tea service, or stay overnight; due to the small number of rooms, advance booking is essential.
- The hotel features an award-winning fine-dining restaurant that specializes in locally-sourced British cuisine.
- Both the hotel and restaurant are wheelchair accessible.
How to Get There
Lindeth Howe is located one mile (1.6 kilometers) south of the small town of Bowness-on-Windermere in Cumbria’s Lake District National Park. The nearest airports are Manchester and Carlisle Lake District Airport. Trains run regularly to the nearby Windermere station; the hotel is a 10-minute taxi journey from here.
When to Get There
The best time to visit Lindeth Howe Country House Hotel is in summer, when warm weather is best for strolling in its 6-acre (2.4-hectare) garden. On Saturday evenings in the restaurant, a piano player tinkles away.
Just east of the hotel is the shoreline of Lake Windermere, England’s biggest lake. The lake, which extends for 10.5 miles (16.8 kilometers), is dotted with islands of different sizes, including Belle Isle, which hosts an 18th-century mansion, and the tiny Maiden Home, which consists of little more than a single tree rising above the water. Lake cruises depart from the pier at Bowness-on-Windermere.
Address: Lindeth Drive, Longtail Hill, Windermere, England
0 Tours and Activities to Experience Lindeth Howe Hotel
No results found!
- Things to do in Keswick
- Things to do in North West England
- Things to do in North East England
- Things to do in Yorkshire
- Things to do in Newcastle-upon-Tyne
- Things to do in Middlesbrough
- Things to do in Liverpool
- Things to do in Manchester
- Things to do in York
- Things to do in Northeast Scotland
- Things to do in East of England
- Things to do in The Scottish Highlands
- Things to do in South East Ireland
- Things to do in South East England
- Things to do in South West England