Ryoan-ji Temple & Garden Tours and Activities
No matter from where visitors view Japan's most famous rock garden, at least one rock is always hidden from sight. That's one of the reasons that Ryoan-jiTemple, a temple with an accompanying zen rock garden, attracts hundreds of visitors every day. Originally a residence for aristocrats, the site was converted to a Buddhist temple in 1450. The temple features traditional Japanese paintings on sliding doors, a refurbished zen kitchen, and tatami, or straw mat, floors.
The temple's main attraction has always been the rock garden, as much for its meditative qualities as a desire to find meaning in its minimalistic attributes. The garden is a rectangular plot of pebbles with 15 larger stones on moss swaths interspersed seemingly arbitrarily. Some have said the garden represents infinity; others see it in an endless sea. Ryoan-ji is nestled down a wooded path that crosses over a beautiful pond with several walking trails. The luscious setting is as attractive as the temple itself.
Tours and Activities to Experience Ryoan-ji Temple & Garden
Frequently Asked Questions
- One Day Tour : Enjoy Kyoto to the fullest!
- Kyoto Golden Early Morning Tour
- Kyoto Full-Day Private Tour by Public Transportation
- Kyoto Private Custom Walking & Sightseeing Tour
- Things to do in Kansai Prefecture
- Things to do in Osaka
- Things to do in Izumisano
- Things to do in Nagano
- Things to do in Kamakura
- Things to do in Kawagoe
- Things to do in Kawasaki
- Things to do in Tokyo
- Things to do in Musashino
- Things to do in Busan
- Things to do in Seoul
- Things to do in Incheon
- Things to do in Osaka Prefecture
- Things to do in Nagano Prefecture
- Things to do in Kanagawa Prefecture