Among the relocated historical treasures is a five-story pagoda and Reiho-kan, a structure that houses cultural treasures such as sculptures, paintings, and the seated figure of Amida-Nyorai Buddha, the deity of Paradise. Encompassing the temple buildings is an orchard of dwarf cherry trees, making Ninna-ji one of the most popular spots to see the cherry blossoms in spring. It’s a popular stop on cherry blossom tours as well as excursions focused on fall foliage.
Things to know before you go
- Ninna-ji Temple is one of the best spots to go for cherry blossom viewing in Kyoto.
- You’ll need to remove your shoes before entering interior parts of the temple.
- There are additional fees for entering the treasury hall (Reiho-kan) and for cherry blossom viewing.
- The temple is wheelchair accessible, with ramps to the main gate and a wheelchair route on the eastern part of the grounds.
How to get there
Ninna-ji is a 10-minute walk west of Ryoanji Temple and a few paces away from Omuro Ninnaji Station on the Keifuku Kitano Line – a small train that connects Arashiyama with the Kitano district. It’s about 35 minutes from Kyoto Station, direct on the JR San-In Line.
When to get there
The best time to visit the Ninna-ji Temple is during the cherry blossom season, when the large orchard of cherry trees fills with pastel pink blooms. This normally happens in early April, though climatic patterns can set blooms off earlier or later than usual. Autumn here is also great, with colorful fall foliage, particularly in late October and well into November.
Cherry Blossoms in Kyoto
Kyoto is a great place to see cherry blossoms, and while Ninan-ji is one of the best viewing spots, there are plenty of other places around town that are worth considering.The most popular spot is arguably Maruyama Park, though the traditional Gion district, particularly its quaint Shimbashi Street, makes for excellent photos. The Philosopher's Path, which runs along a lovely stretch of narrow canal, is also worth a stroll, though it can get crowded.
- Things to do in Kansai Prefecture
- Things to do in Osaka
- Things to do in Izumisano
- Things to do in Nagano
- Things to do in Kamakura
- Things to do in Kawagoe
- Things to do in Musashino
- Things to do in Kawasaki
- Things to do in Tokyo
- Things to do in Busan
- Things to do in Seoul
- Things to do in Incheon
- Things to do in Osaka Prefecture
- Things to do in Nagano Prefecture
- Things to do in Kanagawa Prefecture
- Ryoan-ji Temple & Garden
- Myoshin-ji Temple
- Toei Kyoto Studio Park (Toei Uzumasa Eigamura)
- Arashiyama Park
- Daitoku-ji Temple
- Togetsu-kyo Bridge
- Nijo-jo Castle
- Tenryu-ji Temple
- Jojakko-ji Temple
- Kyoto Imperial Palace (Kyoto Gosho)
- Kyoto International Manga Museum
- Teramachi Street
- Kinshi Masamune Horino Memorial Museum
- Saiho-ji Temple