Explore Corrieshalloch Gorge via well-marked hiking trails on a self-guided tour. The gorge features a Victorian-era suspension bridge and a viewing platform that extends out over the canyon’s sheer edge. Some multi-day tours of the Scottish Highlands and Scottish isles stop at Corrieshalloch Gorge, and typically cover other west Highland highlights such as the Isle of Skye, Lewis and Harris, and the Orkney Islands.
Things to Know Before You Go
The trails at Corrieshalloch Gorge are relatively easy, making them suitable for visitors of all fitness levels.
Wear shoes with good tread as the path to the bridge can be slippery when wet.
The suspension bridge sways a little, and can be unnerving for travelers with a fear of heights.
The gorge is wheelchair-accessible and stroller-friendly, though the path is steep in parts.
How to Get There
From Ullapool, drive south along the A835 and then turn right onto the A832 at Braemore Junction. Parking is available just east of Braemore Junction. Buses also run from Ullapool and stop at Braemore Junction, though they can be sporadic so it’s better to drive or come as part of a tour.
When to Get There
The summer months of July and August come with the highest concentration of crowds. In spring, wildflowers blossom around the gorge while in fall, the surrounding birch, rowan, hazel, oak, and elm trees show off their autumnal colors.
Birdwatching at the Gorge
Corrieshalloch Gorge is a designated National Nature Reserve; the woodlands surrounding the gorge harbor many different types of feathered fliers. Keen bird-watchers may be able to identify several species of note, including ravens who nest on the ledges of the gorge’s steep walls, and golden eagles, who can sometimes be spotted circling the skies overhead.
- Things to do in The Scottish Highlands
- Things to do in Stirling
- Things to do in St. Andrews
- Things to do in Glasgow
- Things to do in Edinburgh
- Things to do in Newcastle-upon-Tyne
- Things to do in Belfast
- Things to do in Middlesbrough
- Things to do in Liverpool
- Things to do in Manchester
- Things to do in Dublin
- Things to do in Birmingham
- Things to do in Limerick
- Things to do in Northeast Scotland
- Things to do in North East England
- Rogie Falls
- Inverewe (Inverewe Garden & Estate)
- Glen Ord Distillery
- Merkinch Local Nature Reserve
- Old High Church (Old High St. Stephen’s)
- Tomnahurich (Fairy Hill)
- River Ness (Abhainn Nis)
- Eden Court Theatre and Cinema
- Loch Ness Centre and Exhibition
- Inverness Castle
- Inverness Botanic Gardens (Floral Hall)
- Whin Park
- Chanonry Point
- Urquhart Castle (Caisteal na Sròine)