Tao Dan Park
You don’t need a guide to visit Tao Dan Park, and many travelers opt to explore independently. It’s logical to combine Tao Dan Park with the Reunification Palace (Independence Palace) next door or a stroll around Ben Thanh Market down the road. Tao Dan Park is an occasional stop on walking, cyclo, and motorbike tours of Saigon. Look for a tour that departs in the morning to make the most of the atmosphere and catch the bird café in action.
Things to Know Before You Go
Tao Dan Park is a must for people watchers.
The swimming pool at the Labor Culture Palace, a former colonial club, will appeal to anyone who loves art deco.
The main paths in Tao Dan Park are wide, flat, and accessible to travelers who use wheelchairs.
How to Get There
Set right behind the Reunification Palace in the heart of downtown Ho Chi Minh City, Tao Dan Park is under half a mile (800 meters) from the Ben Thanh Bus Station, which offers connections all over the city, including to the airport. Given the language barrier, some travelers may still find it easier to hire a driver or arrange an organized tour.
When to Get There
Tao Dan Park is open from early in the morning until late in the evening seven days a week. Visit in the early morning or late afternoon for a fascinating slice of life as locals exercise en masse: tai chi is most popular in the morning, with aerobics in the late afternoon. The bird café is mainly a morning event.
Morning in Ho Chi Minh City
Folk rise early in Ho Chi Minh City, as they do in many parts of Southeast Asia, and an early morning tour is a chance to see a side of the city that tourists rarely witness. Take in bustling produce markets, elderly citizens performing tai chi in Tao Dan Park, and sunrise on the Saigon River.
- Things to do in Southern Vietnam
- Things to do in Can Tho
- Things to do in Phnom Penh
- Things to do in Krong Kaeb
- Things to do in Nha Trang
- Things to do in Sihanoukville
- Things to do in Angkor Wat
- Things to do in Siem Reap
- Things to do in Ko Chang
- Things to do in Hoi An
- Things to do in My Son
- Things to do in Da Nang
- Things to do in Hue
- Things to do in Mekong Delta
- Things to do in South Coast
- War Remnants Museum (Bao Tang Chung Tich Chien Tranh)
- Pham Ngu Lao Street
- Reunification Palace (Independence Palace)
- Ben Thanh Market (Cho Ben Thanh)
- Museum of Fine Arts
- Paris Square (Cong Truong Cong Xa Paris)
- Saigon Central Post Office
- Vietnam Cookery Center
- Saigon Opera House (Opéra de Saïgon)
- Dong Khoi Street (Duong Dong Khoi)
- Saigon Skydeck
- Bitexco Financial Tower
- Museum of Traditional Vietnamese Medicine (Fito Museum)
- Ho Chi Minh City Cruise Ports
- Bach Dang Wharf (Ben Bach Dang)
- Cruising the Mekong Delta
- Ho Chi Minh City Water Puppets
- 3-Days in Ho Chi Minh City: Suggested Itineraries
- Vietnam War Tours
- How to Spend 3 Days in Ho Chi Minh City
- Food Lover's Guide to Ho Chi Minh City
- Vietnam War History Tours in Ho Chi Minh City
- Mekong River Cruises from Ho Chi Minh City
- How to Spend 2 Days in Ho Chi Minh City
- How to Spend 1 Day in Ho Chi Minh City
- Water Puppet Shows in Ho Chi Minh City