Seurasaari Open-Air Museum
The Seurasaari Open-Air Museum first opened in 1909, when it was only accessible by boat. It has been a popular attraction ever since, attracting visitors with its old-fashioned treats, folk dancing performances, and regularly scheduled concerts in Karuna Church. The museum is sometimes included in tours of Helsinki and participates in the Helsinki Card, where multiple attractions can be accessed for one price.
Things to know before you go
- The Seurasaari Open-Air Museum is a must-see attraction for history lovers, travelers seeking culture, and families interested in educational experiences.
- The buildings are closed during the winter months, but the park is open for cross-country skiing and walks.
- Guided tours are available on a daily basis during June, July, and August.
- The open-air museum is inspired by rural landscapes and isn’t always accessible to wheelchairs and strollers.
How to get there
Public transportation connects travelers from the center of Helsinki to the Seurasaari Open-Air Museum; take Bus 24 to the last stop, Seurasaari. Most visitors arrive on foot, by public transportation, or as part of a guided tour. Parking is limited.
When to get there
The park at Seurasaari Open-Air Museum is open daily year-round, but the main buildings are closed from October through May. The most popular time to visit is during the summer months; on Midsummer Eve a big bonfire kicks off seasonal celebrations. The spring and early fall months offer an alternative with fewer crowds.
Museum Shop and Gardens
Complete your visit with a browse through the museum shop where old-fashioned sweets and traditional handicrafts are for sale. The shop is located next to the Pappila Garden, a 19th-century style garden that is a lovely place to relax during a museum visit.
- Things to do in Tallinn
- Things to do in Riga
- Things to do in Stockholm
- Things to do in Vilnius
- Things to do in Minsk
- Things to do in Gdansk
- Things to do in Oslo
- Things to do in Copenhagen
- Things to do in Poznan
- Things to do in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
- Things to do in Western Norway
- Things to do in Moscow
- Things to do in Northern Germany
- Sibelius Monument
- Sports Museum of Finland
- Helsinki Olympic Stadium
- Urho Kekkonen Museum (Tamminiemi)
- Rock Church (Temppeliaukio Kirkko)
- National Museum of Finland (Suomen Kansallismuseo)
- Finlandia Hall (Finlandiatalo)
- SEA LIFE® Helsinki
- Linnanmaki Amusement Park
- Parliament House of Finland (Eduskuntatalo)
- Helsinki Music Centre (Musiikkitalo)
- HAM Helsinki Art Museum
- Museum of Contemporary Art Kiasma
- Tennis Palace (Tennispalatsi)
- Amos Rex