Helsinki’s most-Instagrammed café is a local institution, with roots stretching back to 1952. Perched right on the seafront at the southern end of Kaivopuisto Park, the café serves up sweeping views across the Helsinki archipelago—along with a range of sweet and savory treats.
Work up an appetite with a stroll through Kaivopuisto Park, then head to Café Ursula for coffee or oceanside lunch. Grab a seat on the terrace for the best views of Suomenlinna Island and the Baltic Sea. The lunch menu includes a range of Finnish specialties, such as grilled Baltic herring and open sandwiches, with shrimp being the favorite. Alternatively, order a cold beer, tuck into some Finnish pastries, or enjoy an ice cream.
Things to know before you go
- Café Ursula is a great spot for travelers looking for a local experience.
- The café’s coastal location means it can be windy even in the summer, so bring a jacket or scarf.
- The café is accessible for wheelchairs and strollers.
How to get there
Café Ursula is located at the south-eastern corner of Kaivopuisto Park, right on the seafront. To get there from downtown Helsinki, ride the tram to Kaivopuisto—from there it’s a 10-minute walk through the park.
When to get there
The café is open daily all year-round. Come on a sunny summer’s afternoon to sit out on the terrace, join locals for Sunday brunch, or cozy up indoors during the winter months. The liveliest time to visit is on the first day of May, when the park serves as a backdrop for the city’s Vappu festival celebrations.
Just south of downtown, Kaivopuisto Park is one of Helsinki’s most popular parks with an idyllic setting along the Baltic coast. Head there to picnic on the grassy lawns in summer, walk along the sea cliffs, or visit the Ursa Observatory before taking a coffee break at Café Ursula. The park is a favorite spot for walking, jogging, and cycling during summer, as well as sledding during winter.
- Things to do in Tallinn
- Things to do in Riga
- Things to do in Stockholm
- Things to do in Vilnius
- Things to do in Minsk
- Things to do in Gdansk
- Things to do in Oslo
- Things to do in Copenhagen
- Things to do in Poznan
- Things to do in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
- Things to do in Western Norway
- Things to do in Moscow
- Things to do in Northern Germany
- Helsinki Senate Square (Senaatintori)
- Helsinki Cathedral (Tuomiokirkko)
- Helsinki City Museum
- Helsinki City Hall (Kaupungintalo)
- Sederholm House (Sederholmin Talo)
- Market Square (Kauppatori)
- Flying Cinema Tour Of Helsinki
- Ateneum Art Museum (Konstmuseet Ateneum)
- Helsinki Swedish Theatre
- Port of Helsinki
- Helsinki Central Station
- Museum of Finnish Architecture
- Design Museum (Designmuseo)
- Military Museum of Finland
- Amos Rex