Temporary exhibitions form the crux of the Amos Rex experience, so check the museum website to see what’s showing during your visit. Past exhibitions have focused on René Magritte, Sigurd Frosterus, and the Studio Drift collective, and the museum is known for its innovative use of space and digital multi-media. It’s easy to explore on a self-guided tour as exhibitions are well marked in English, but if you want deeper insight into the creative heritage of the museum, opt to take an art- or architecture-focused tour.
Things to Know Before You Go
Book your admission tickets in advance in order skip the lines at the entrance hall, which can get long.
There is an admission fee to visit the museum, though under 18s go free and admission is free with a Helsinki Card.
The museum has a café, restaurant, gift shop, and a free cloakroom.
The museum is accessible for wheelchairs and strollers.
How to Get There
Amos Rex is located on Lasipalatsi square; the main entrance is inside the Lasipalatsi building on the Mannerheimintie side. The closest metro stations are Kamppi and Central Railway Station, both a short walk away.
When to Get There
The museum is open daily except on Tuesdays, and offers late-night opening on Wednesdays and Thursdays. Lines can get long, particularly over the weekend, so visit in the early afternoon during the week for the best chance of avoiding the crowds. Look out for special events held in the open-air forum over the summer months.
Helsinki for Art Lovers
With it varied art scene and reputation for embracing the eclectic, Helsinki provides art lovers with plenty to get excited about. After visiting the two main museums—the Ateneum, which houses Finland’s national art collection, and the Helsinki Art Museum (HAM), where highlights include a huge exhibition of Tove Jansson’s works—head over to the Museum of Contemporary Art Kiasma to discover Finland's contemporary art scene. Also worth a visit is the Kunsthalle Helsinki and Didrichsen Art Museum.
- Things to do in Tallinn
- Things to do in St Petersburg
- Things to do in Riga
- Things to do in Stockholm
- Things to do in Vilnius
- Things to do in Kaliningrad
- Things to do in Minsk
- Things to do in Gdansk
- Things to do in Oslo
- Things to do in Copenhagen
- Things to do in Poznan
- Things to do in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
- Things to do in Western Norway
- Things to do in Moscow
- Things to do in Northern Germany
- Museum of Contemporary Art Kiasma
- Tennis Palace (Tennispalatsi)
- Parliament House of Finland (Eduskuntatalo)
- Helsinki Central Station
- Helsinki Music Centre (Musiikkitalo)
- HAM Helsinki Art Museum
- Ateneum Art Museum (Konstmuseet Ateneum)
- National Museum of Finland (Suomen Kansallismuseo)
- Helsinki Swedish Theatre
- Finlandia Hall (Finlandiatalo)
- Port of Helsinki
- Rock Church (Temppeliaukio Kirkko)
- Helsinki Cathedral (Tuomiokirkko)
- Café Ursula
- Helsinki Senate Square (Senaatintori)