Three days in Guangzhou means you can explore the city’s highlights—both old and new—experience the culture, sample local cuisine, and take a day trip out of town. Here are some ideas on how to spend 72 hours in Guangzhou.
Divided between the British and French in 1859, Shamian Island—technically a manmade island—is a tranquil oasis of historical architecture today. Composed of just three east-west avenues and five north-south streets, the island may be small, but it packs a surfeit of lovely landmarks. Local highlights include Our Lady of Lourdes Chapel, neoclassical ex-consulate buildings, and colonial mansions.
Private sightseeing and history-themed tours provide an accessible way to wander the island’s pretty avenues and learn more about its history. For the time-pressed, Shamian can even be glimpsed from the perch of a Pearl River cruise.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Much of the island is pedestrianized, and it’s small enough that you can easily make a couple of loops on foot.
- During your island visit, head into the historical White Swan Hotel: its lobby features a koi pond, waterfall, and multiple tiers of garden greenery.
- The island is renowned for its grand banyan trees, some of which are hundreds of years old; be sure to bring your camera along to capture the unique scenery.
How to Get There
Shamian Island is located just a quick stroll from the Huangsha Metro Station, and is also served by the Huangsha Ferry Terminal. Buses operate on the nearby Inner Ring Road, though not on the island itself: given its petite dimensions, it’s best explored on foot.
When to Get There
Shamian Island is always open to visitors, though it’s best to visit during good-weather days: its Victorian boulevards look particularly appealing when bright and sun-dappled.
During your next walking tour of Shamian Island, keep your eyes peeled: the island is famously dotted with bronze sculptures that depict charming moments from everyday life, ranging from a girl mailing a letter to women from different eras in history walking side by side.
Frequently Asked Questions
The answers provided below are based on answers previously given by the tour provider to customers’ questions.
What are the nearest attractions to Shamian Island?
What else should I know about attractions in Guangzhou?
- Things to do in Southern China
- Things to do in Shenzhen
- Things to do in Macau SAR
- Things to do in Yangshuo
- Things to do in Guilin
- Things to do in Nanning
- Things to do in Xiamen
- Things to do in Nanchang
- Things to do in Sanya
- Things to do in Halong Bay
- Things to do in Zhangjiajie
- Things to do in Hanoi
- Things to do in Taipei
- Things to do in Guangxi
- Things to do in Okinawa
- Chen Clan Academy (Chen Jia Ci)
- Temple of the Five Immortals (Wuxian Guan)
- Huaisheng Mosque
- Bright Filial Piety Temple (Guangxiao Si)
- Temple of the Six Banyan Trees (Liurong Si)
- Sun Yat Sen Memorial Hall (Sun Zhongshan Ji Nian Tang)
- Museum of the Mausoleum of the Nanyue King
- Yuexiu Park (Yuexiu Gongyuan)
- Guangzhou Museum
- Guangdong Museum of Art (GDMoA)
- Canton Tower
- Pearl River (Zhujiang)
- White Cloud Mountain (Baiyun Shan)
- Chimelong Paradise
- Chimelong Water Park