Three days in Guangzhou means you can explore the city’s highlights—both old and new—experience the culture, sample local cuisine, and take a day trip out of town. Here are some ideas on how to spend 72 hours in Guangzhou.
Chen Clan Academy (Chen Jia Ci)
Open daily 8am - 5:30pm
Built as a Confucian academy and a family shrine by the Chen clan, the complex is known for its traditional Qing Dynasty architecture. Its highly ornamental buildings are decorated with elaborate, rooftop figurines featuring characters from heritage dramas, as well as ornate wood carvings and other engravings. Within its walls, the Guangdong Folk Art Museum showcases porcelain pieces, sculptures, furnishings, and other objets d’art.
There are numerous ways to discover the Chen Clan Ancestral Hall. Many sightseeing and city highlights tours make it a priority to visit the historical landmark. For a full cultural immersion, pair your visit with a traditional dim sum feast.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Set aside at least a couple hours to visit the extensive landmark: you’ll want ample time to explore its various buildings, courtyards, and galleries.
- The Chen Clan Ancestral Hall is a popular sightseeing stop for both history buffs and architecture lovers.
- Free entry to the museum is offered on the third Wednesday of each month.
- A souvenir shop is hosted on site, if you’re looking for special gifts.
How to Get There
The Chen Clan Ancestral Hall is conveniently located in the heart of Guangzhou. If using public transportation, take Metro line 1 to Chen Clan Academy Station. Several local bus routes also serve the area, while guided tours offer a stress-free way to visit.
When to Get There
The Chen Clan Ancestral Hall is open to visitors daily from 8.30am–5:30pm. The last tickets are issued at 5pm, though it’s recommended to arrive a minimum of several hours prior to closing time to make the most of your visit.
Roof Carvings at the Chen Clan Ancestral Hall
During your visit to the historical landmark, don’t forget to look up: the rooftops of the Chen Clan Ancestral Hall are ornamented with a dazzling array of colorful, intricately carved sculptures. Figurines raise from leaping fish and dragons to characters from Chinese myths.
Frequently Asked Questions
The answers provided below are based on answers previously given by the tour provider to customers’ questions.
What are the nearest attractions to Chen Clan Academy (Chen Jia Ci)?
What else should I know about attractions in Guangzhou?
- Things to do in Southern China
- Things to do in Shenzhen
- Things to do in Macau SAR
- Things to do in Yangshuo
- Things to do in Guilin
- Things to do in Nanning
- Things to do in Xiamen
- Things to do in Nanchang
- Things to do in Sanya
- Things to do in Halong Bay
- Things to do in Zhangjiajie
- Things to do in Hanoi
- Things to do in Taipei
- Things to do in Guangxi
- Things to do in Okinawa
- Bright Filial Piety Temple (Guangxiao Si)
- Huaisheng Mosque
- Temple of the Six Banyan Trees (Liurong Si)
- Temple of the Five Immortals (Wuxian Guan)
- Sun Yat Sen Memorial Hall (Sun Zhongshan Ji Nian Tang)
- Museum of the Mausoleum of the Nanyue King
- Shamian Island
- Yuexiu Park (Yuexiu Gongyuan)
- Guangzhou Museum
- Guangdong Museum of Art (GDMoA)
- White Cloud Mountain (Baiyun Shan)
- Canton Tower
- Pearl River (Zhujiang)
- Chimelong Paradise
- Chimelong Water Park