Glasgow Gallery of Modern Art (GoMA)
GoMA is one of Scotland’s premier modern art galleries. Visitors can browse the permanent displays, including Stones Steeped in History, which chronicles the history of the museum building, and the rotating selection of temporary exhibitions, covering topics ranging from the inner-city environment to identity in modern times. Free drop-in volunteer-led building tours, lasting 30 to 40 minutes, are available on select dates. The gallery can be visited as part of private guided tours of Glasgow.
Things to Know Before You Go
GoMA is a must for contemporary art fans.
A café, library, and shop are located on-site.
Free Wi-Fi is available at the museum.
The museum is wheelchair accessible.
How to Get There
The Gallery of Modern Art is situated on Royal Exchange Square in the heart of Glasgow city. The nearest train stations are Queen Street, which is just a 3-minute walk via Queen Street, and Central Station, which is a 5-minute walk via Gordon Street and Royal Bank Place. St. Enoch and Buchanan Street subway stations are both less than a 10 minutes’ walk from the gallery.
When to Get There
The museum is open daily. Saturday afternoons are the busiest time. Come midweek to experience the museum at its quietest.
Special Events at GoMA
In addition to hosting exhibitions, the Glasgow Gallery of Modern Art also hosts a program of events designed to help visitors and residents engage with art. Book clubs, which focus on a single exhibition showing in the museum and a book associated with it, take place here, as do informal workshops, devoted to skills such as sketching and weaving. Family-friendly events and discussion groups focusing on individual artworks are also held at the museum.
- Things to do in Stirling
- Things to do in Edinburgh
- Things to do in St. Andrews
- Things to do in Belfast
- Things to do in Inverness
- Things to do in Newcastle-upon-Tyne
- Things to do in Middlesbrough
- Things to do in Liverpool
- Things to do in Manchester
- Things to do in Dublin
- Things to do in Birmingham
- Things to do in Limerick
- Things to do in Northeast Scotland
- Things to do in The Scottish Highlands
- Things to do in North East England
- Buchanan Street
- The Lighthouse
- George Square
- Glasgow Cruise Port (Greenock Ocean Terminal)
- Merchant City
- Provand's Lordship
- St. Mungo Museum of Religious Life and Art
- Glasgow Cathedral
- Tenement House
- People's Palace & Winter Gardens
- Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum
- Glasgow Science Centre
- The Hunterian (Hunterian Museum and Art Gallery)
- Glasgow West End
- Burrell Collection