Ixpanpajul Natural Park (Parque Natural Ixpanpajul)
Full-day tours of the park offer a lot of potential for family-fun adventure and wildlife-spotting. Mount up for a horseback ride through the forest hiking or take the nature trails on a mountain bike or on a tractor.xa0 Pump up the adrenaline and zipline through the treetops and soar over lush jungle canopy and traverse six suspension bridges on a 6-hour eco-adventure tour.xa0 Most tours leave from Flores and are easily customizable according to the preferred activities.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Ixpanpajul Natural Park is highly recommended for travelers who love the outdoors, especially families.
- There is an entrance fee.
- Maps and guides are available at the park.
- Wear light clothes and good hiking shoes, and make sure you have bottled water and insect repellent.
- Amenities include a café with snacks, large areas with picnic tables, and restrooms.
- Campsites with tent rentals and cabins are available for overnight stays.
How to Get There
Ixpanpajul Natural Park is located about 6 miles (10 kilometers) from Flores and about 27 miles (45 kilometers) from Tikal, which is an easy 15-minute drive by car or bus from Flores. On-site parking is plentiful.
When to Get There
The site is open daily from morning until evening. Keep in mind that the wildlife is most active in the morning and evening. In general, the climate in Flores is pleasant throughout the year, though it’s best to avoid the rainy season (May through October) and holidays when the campsites are packed.
A sacred place for the Mayan, the Uaxactún archaeological site features four ancient astronomical complexes, the oldest observatories in the world. These structures were built to be perfectly aligned with the rising sun during the change of seasons. It's still a vital and significant place, where modern Mayans hold ceremonial rituals here during solstices and equinoxes welcoming the rising sun with chanting, dancing, and drumming. Overnight camping is available for tourists to join the festivities.
- Petencito Zoo
- Actún Can Caves
- Lake Peten Itza (Lago Petén Itzá)
- Tikal National Park (Parque Nacional Tikal)
- Seibal (Ceibal)
- Petén Forest
- Maya Biosphere Reserve (Reserva de la Biosfera Maya)
- Aguateca Archaeological Site
- Pasión River (Rio La Pasión)
- Estación Biológica las Guacamayas (EBG)