Dusseldorf Old Town (Altstadt)
The traditional heart of the city and one of Germany’s most famous nightlife districts, Dusseldorf’s Old Town (Altstadt) is where visitors spend the majority of their time, home to many of the city’s top attractions. As well as the scenic Rheinuferpromenade running along the waterfront and the famous Königsallee shopping boulevard just a couple of blocks east, highlights of the Old Town include the Burgplatz, with its landmark castle tower and unique City Monument; the Neander-church and Old City Hall (Rathaus), two of the only buildings still standing after WWII; and a number of museums, including the Kunstsammlung Nordrhein-Westfalen and the Filmmuseum.
The historic district is at its most atmospheric in the evening hours when locals and tourists gather to drink and dance at “the longest bar in the world” – the nickname given to the almost 300 bars, bier-halles and pubs that stretch throughout the area, built so close together that the bar counters are said to run from one venue to the next. There’s a huge range of nightclubs, music venues and cocktail bars to choose from, but be sure to head to one of the traditional brew pubs to sample local specialty, Altbier, a dark beer brewed in Dusseldorf since the 19th century.
Browse. Filter. Book.
What's the best way to experience Dusseldorf Old Town (Altstadt)?
- Altbier Safari
- Düsseldorf Old town - guided tour
- Tour through the Dusseldorf Old Town
- Düsseldorf Sightseeing round-trip Cruise
Things to do near Düsseldorf
- Things to do in Rhine River
- Things to do in Cologne
- Things to do in Eindhoven
- Things to do in Dordrecht
- Things to do in Antwerp
- Things to do in Zaventem
- Things to do in Brussels
- Things to do in Rotterdam
- Things to do in Amsterdam
- Things to do in Frankfurt
- Things to do in Luxembourg City
- Things to do in Zaandam
- Things to do in The Hague
- Things to do in South Holland
- Things to do in North Holland