Cozumel Museum (Museo de la Isla de Cozumel)
The museum’s exhibits begin on the ground floor with Cozumel’s natural history. Fine examples from the island’s famed coral reefs are a must for snorkelers and divers eager to learn more about the underwater world. Other highlights include interactive exhibits about Cozumel’s cultural heritage and its history of pirate attacks. You can also see Cozumel’s transformation from a sparsely populated Caribbean island into an internationally known tourist destination.
Visit theCozumel Museum independently or as part of a guided history walking tour that provides a great overview of San Miguel de Cozumel’s waterfront and downtown.
Things to Know Before You Go
The museum is ideal for those who want to learn more about Cozumel’s natural and cultural history.
Expect to spend about an hour exploring the exhibits.
The museum offers basic facilities, including a gift shop and restrooms.
Researchers are welcome to use the museum’s on-site library.
The museum and café are not accessible to wheelchairs.
How to Get There
TheCozumel Museum is an easy walk from the Playa del Carmen ferry pier or the Plaza del Sol. Simply head north along the waterfront on Avenida Rafael Melgar and the museum is on your right, between Calle 4 and Calle 6.
When to Get There
The museum is open Monday through Saturday from 9am to 5pm, and there isn’t really a bad time to visit. If you want to avoid the crowds, arrive in the morning. Winter brings large numbers of travelers to Cozumel, and the weeks before and after Easter are some of the busiest.
Café El Museo
Set aside some time to eat at the excellent Café El Museo, a casual restaurant located on the second floor above the museum. Enjoy fresh seafood, authentic Mexican dishes, and fabulous Caribbean Sea views from the lovely covered patio, which must have been a favorite spot for guests at what was once Cozumel’s first upscale hotel.
- Things to do in Riviera Maya & the Yucatan
- Things to do in Playa del Carmen
- Things to do in Tulum
- Things to do in Cancun
- Things to do in Costa Maya
- Things to do in Merida
- Things to do in Ambergris Caye
- Things to do in Belize City
- Things to do in Hopkins
- Things to do in San Pedro Sula
- Things to do in Grand Cayman
- Things to do in Panajachel
- Things to do in San Pedro La Laguna
- Things to do in The Cayes
- Things to do in Central Highlands
- Plaza del Sol
- Punta Sur Eco Beach Park (Faro Celerain Ecological Reserve)
- Chankanaab Adventure Beach Park
- El Cedral
- Playa Uvas Beach Club
- Discover Mexico Park Cozumel
- Santa Rosa Wall
- Cozumel Cruise Port
- Tormentos Reef
- Paradise Reef (Paraíso Reef)
- Cozumel Reefs National Marine Park
- Columbia Reef
- San Gervasio Mayan Ruins
- Corona Beach (Playa Corona)
- Playa Mia Grand Beach Park