Corona Beach (Playa Corona)
Playa Corona’s reef starts right offshore, and you can rent snorkeling equipment close by. Most visitors spend the day at Playa Corona Beach Club, with plenty of thatched-roof palapas, swaying hammocks, and small restaurants serving fresh seafood and cold drinks. It offers good snorkeling from the shore, and all those hammocks make this a tempting spot to while away the day. Strong swimmers can head out to the much more famous (and expensive) Chankanaab Park, about 328 feet (100 meters) offshore.
Things to Know Before You Go
Playa Corona is ideal for snorkelers of all experience levels.
Remember to bring sun protection and water, as the beach offers little shade.
Bring cash, as the bars and restaurants don’t accept debit or credit cards.
The beach offers basic facilities, including restrooms and outdoor showers.
How to Get There
Playa Corona sits just south of San Miguel in Cozumel. There’s no public bus service (yet, but ask around to see if this has changed). Unless you rent a car, catch a taxi plying this stretch of Avenida Melgar regularly; you probably won’t have to wait long for a ride back to your hotel.
When to Get There
You can visit Playa Corona year-round. Winter brings large numbers of travelers to Cozumel, and the weeks before and after Easter are some of the busiest. Wet weather is likely from May to October.
Just north of Playa Corona, Chankanaab Park is the island’s best-known water park and part of the Cozumel Reefs National Marine Park. The park has a wide white-sand beach and a natural lagoon for swimming and snorkeling. You can also explore a botanical garden with over 350 species of tropical plants, and a nature path with small replicas of Maya ruins.
- Things to do in Riviera Maya & the Yucatan
- Things to do in Playa del Carmen
- Things to do in Tulum
- Things to do in Cancun
- Things to do in Costa Maya
- Things to do in Merida
- Things to do in Ambergris Caye
- Things to do in Belize City
- Things to do in Hopkins
- Things to do in San Pedro Sula
- Things to do in Grand Cayman
- Things to do in Panajachel
- Things to do in San Pedro La Laguna
- Things to do in The Cayes
- Things to do in Central Highlands
- Playa Mia Grand Beach Park
- The Mayan Cacao Company
- Mr. Sancho's Beach Club Cozumel
- Discover Mexico Park Cozumel
- Playa Palancar
- Santa Rosa Wall
- Cozumel Reefs National Marine Park
- Columbia Reef
- Palancar Reef
- Cozumel Cruise Port
- Tormentos Reef
- Paradise Reef (Paraíso Reef)
- Chankanaab Adventure Beach Park
- Playa Uvas Beach Club
- El Cedral