Las Sepulturas Tours and Activities
This fascinating archaeological site provides insight into how the ruling families lived in the heyday of the Maya people. It also explains how long periods of peace were not sustainable: the number of elites grew faster than the taxes and tribute to support their lifestyle. They ate well and lived long lives, while each of their many children grew up expecting the same.
In Las Sepulturas (“the tombs”) area of the archaeological park, archaeologists found over 500 skeletons, so this area served as both living quarters and graveyard, new homes built on ancestral tombs. Don’t expect elaborate mansions though: most living was done outdoors and meals were prepared in a communal kitchen. This is a spot where a good guide can bring sense to it all.
Many of the adornments from the area are housed in area museums, but some carvings and reliefs are still in place.
Tours and Activities to Experience Las Sepulturas
No results found.How about something else?See all Copan tours
Frequently Asked Questions
- Things to do in San Pedro Sula
- Things to do in Santa Ana
- Things to do in San Salvador
- Things to do in Punta Gorda
- Things to do in La Libertad
- Things to do in Acajutla
- Things to do in Tela
- Things to do in Tegucigalpa
- Things to do in Guatemala City
- Things to do in Antigua
- Things to do in San Ignacio
- Things to do in Flores
- Things to do in Central Highlands
- Things to do in Pacific Highlands
- Things to do in Petén