Roman-Germanic Museum (Römisch-Germanische Museum) Tours
Part antiquities collection, part archeological dig, the Roman-Germanic Museum (or Römisch-Germanische Museum) sits atop the last vestiges of the Roman town villa. In the museum's basement is a well-known Dionysus mosaic, undisturbed from its original installation.
Remnants of Roman architecture, inscriptions, portraits of Caesar Augustus and his ceramics and more piece together the story of Cologne's development from a Germanic tribal settlement (the Ubii), to the Roman Cologne, to the capital of the Lower Germania.
Other highlights of the museum are the 15 meters (50 foot) high sarcophagus of Poblicius, a legionnaire from the first century AD. Like the mosaic and the Roman road outside, this funereal monument was uncovered during excavations in the city. The collection also contains the largest collection of Roman glass, more mosaics and ceramics, as well as the stone, clay and bronze idols specific to various Roman cults.
Tours are available, but the museum is fairly easy to negotiate by oneself. Given the wealth of archeological finds in the surrounding area, the Roman-Germanic Museum is one of the most important museums in the world, and is one of the most popular museums in all of Germany.
The Roman-Germanic Museum was originally part of the Wallraf-Richartz Museum, but it moved east of the building in 1974, primarily due to the difficulty of moving the Dionysus mosaic from its original site. Thus, the architects designed the museum to fit around the Roman ruins.
7 Tours and Activities to Experience Roman-Germanic Museum (Römisch-Germanische Museum)
Frequently Asked Questions
- Cologne City Tour Experience cathedral city on the Rhine
- Sightseeing tour Cologne with a private tour guide only for you or your group!
- Private Tour: Cologne City Highlights
- 11 Cologne stories - an exciting scavenger hunt
Things to do near Cologne
- Things to do in Rhine River
- Things to do in Düsseldorf
- Things to do in Eindhoven
- Things to do in Frankfurt
- Things to do in Luxembourg City
- Things to do in Zaventem
- Things to do in Antwerp
- Things to do in Brussels
- Things to do in Dordrecht
- Things to do in Rotterdam
- Things to do in Amsterdam
- Things to do in Zaandam
- Things to do in The Hague
- Things to do in South Holland
- Things to do in North Holland