Chicago History Museum
Much of the history of the United States took place in Chicago, so it makes perfect sense that the city’s history museum features extensive collections of historic artifacts from both Chicago and America as a whole. One exhibit, with over 600 objects, focuses solely on the city’s growth and influence on American history. There is also a research center on site, and the museum serves both to discover and protect Chicago’s history.
The museum has been in operation since 1856. Unfortunately much of the museum’s early collection was lost in the Great Chicago Fire in 1871, but the museum resurged (in a now fireproof building.) The museum demonstrates eight times in history America fought for its freedom, including extensive information regarding the life of Abraham Lincoln. You’ll find exhibits on everything from sports memorabilia to past public transportation to blues and jazz music in Chicago. With paintings, books, manuscripts, sculptures, and photographs, the collection has an impressive amount on local display.
Tours and tickets to Experience Chicago History Museum
What are Chicago History Museum hours of operation?
Should I book Chicago History Museum tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit Chicago History Museum 2021?
What's the best way to experience Chicago History Museum?
- Chicago's Gold Coast Hidden History: A Self-Guided Audio Walk
- Walking Tour of Lincoln Park in Chicago
- Go Chicago Explorer Pass with SkyDeck and 360 Chicago
- Go Chicago All-Inclusive Pass with Skip the Line Access
Things to do near Chicago
- Things to do in Illinois
- Things to do in Cleveland
- Things to do in Nashville
- Things to do in Pittsburgh
- Things to do in Toronto
- Things to do in Niagara Falls & Around
- Things to do in Niagara Falls
- Things to do in Buffalo
- Things to do in Branson
- Things to do in Greenville
- Things to do in Atlanta
- Things to do in Washington DC
- Things to do in Baltimore
- Things to do in Ohio
- Things to do in Ontario