Chiang Rai is ideally situated for discovering Thailand’s Golden Triangle, so three days in the city give you ample time to immerse yourself in local culture and cuisine, and explore the northern highlands. Here’s how.
Choui Fong Tea Plantation
Mae Chan, Mae Chan District, Chiang Rai,, Thailand
Visitors to the Choui Fong Tea Plantation can see firsthand how tea is grown. Neat rows of tea trees cascade down a hillside, where workers can be seen carefully picking the leaves by hand. Next door to the plantation building is a cafe and shop, where you can sample teas and treats, admire stunning views overlooking the plantation, or purchase teas or tea-themed souvenirs to take home.
Things to know before you go
- The Choui Fong Tea Plantation is a must-visit for tea aficionados or anyone looking for an unusual, off-the beaten-track experience.
- Wear comfortable shoes if you plan to explore the plantation’s hilly terrain.
- The plantation is not wheelchair-accessible.
How to get there
The Choui Fong Tea Plantation is located about an hour's drive north of Chiang Rai, at an elevation of around 4,000 feet (1,200 meters) above sea level. You'll either need to rent a car or take a taxi to get here. Alternatively, consider joining a private tour of the Chiang Rai area that includes transportation and a visit to the plantation.
When to get there
Choui Fong Tea Plantation is open every day during normal working hours. Weather won't make much of a difference if you've just come to shop and sample tea. However, if you plan to spend time outside in the tea plantation, it’s best to visit during the drier, cooler months (roughly November through early February).
Frequently Asked Questions
The answers provided below are based on answers previously given by the tour provider to customers’ questions.
What are the nearest attractions to Choui Fong Tea Plantation?
What else should I know about attractions in Chiang Rai?
- Things to do in Northern Thailand
- Things to do in Chiang Mai
- Things to do in Luang Prabang
- Things to do in Vientiane
- Things to do in Mandalay
- Things to do in Yangon
- Things to do in Kunming
- Things to do in Hanoi
- Things to do in Bangkok
- Things to do in Lijiang
- Things to do in Changsha
- Things to do in Hua Hin
- Things to do in Shangri-La
- Things to do in Southwest China
- Things to do in Central Vietnam