Many visitors opt to visit Troyes on a day trip from Paris. The compact Old Town is easy to explore on a walking tour and is undeniably picturesque, with plenty of photo opportunities. After admiring the centuries-old churches, known for their exquisite stained glass, and the lavish hôtels particuliers (mansions), visit the town’s many museums and galleries, and leave yourself plenty of time to browse the shops—Troyes is well known for its textiles and is home to many factory outlets.
Things to Know Before You Go
The historic center of Troyes is easy to get around on foot.
Troyes is a great destination for foodies, with many restaurants, cafés, and bakeries. Be sure to try the local brioche.
There are a number of Champagne houses around Troyes where you can enjoy winery tours and Champagne tasting.
How to Get There
Troyes is located in the Champagne region of France, around 112 miles (180 kilometers) southeast of Paris or about a 2-hour drive. Direct trains from the Gare de l’Est station in Paris to Troyes take about 1.5 hours.
When to Get There
The most popular time to visit Troyes is during the summer months of July and August, when it’s recommended to book accommodation and tours well in advance. Other atmospheric times to visit are during the annual Nights of Champagne festival in October and over the festive season, when a lively Christmas market is held in the city center.
Museums of Troyes
Troyes is home to a number of unique museums. The striking Hôtel du Mauroy houses the Museum of Tools and Trade, a fascinating tribute to the city’s crafts-making heritage, while the Museum of Modern Art displays works by Gauguin, Braque, Matisse, and local artist Maurice Marinot. There’s also the Saint-Loup Museum of Fine Art, Archaeology, and Natural History, and the Hôtel de Vauluisant houses a regional history museum and the Hosiery Museum (Musée de la Bonneterie), of particular interest to knitters and embroiderers.
- Things to do in Reims
- Things to do in Île-de-France
- Things to do in Nord-Pas de Calais
- Things to do in Flanders
- Things to do in Marne-la-Vallée
- Things to do in Paris
- Things to do in Luxembourg City
- Things to do in Lille
- Things to do in Brussels
- Things to do in Burgundy
- Things to do in Alsace
- Things to do in Normandy
- Things to do in South Holland
- Things to do in Lake Geneva
- Things to do in South East England
- Champagne Mercier
- Moët & Chandon Champagne Cellars (Les Caves Moët & Chandon)
- Verzenay Lighthouse (Phare de Verzenay)
- Pommery Champagne (Domaine Pommery)
- Abbey of Saint-Remi (Abbaye Saint-Rémi)
- Taittinger Champagne House (Maison de Champagne Taittinger)
- Reims Cathedral of Notre Dame (Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Reims)
- Tau Palace (Palais du Tau)
- House of Mumm (Maison Mumm)