Santo Domingo Church (Iglesia de Santo Domingo)
As one of Cartagena’s major historic landmarks, Santo Domingo Church (Iglesia Santo Domingo) is a feature of many Cartagena sightseeing tours. Cycle around Santo Domingo Square on a bike tour; discover the finer details of the church's interior on a walking tour; or cover more sights in less time on a tour by air-conditioned bus. Regardless of which mode of transport you choose, tours typically also cover Bolivar Square, San Felipe de Barajas Castle, and San Pedro Claver Cathedral.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Santo Domingo Church is a must-visit for history buffs and travelers in Cartagena for the first time.
- Don’t miss the intricately-carved wooden figures that depict religious icons inside of the church.
- You can take an audio tour of the church—available in Spanish and English—in order to learn more about the landmark’s history.
- The surrounding square and the interior of the church are wheelchair and stroller accessible.
How to Get There
Santo Domingo Church (Iglesia Santo Domingo) is located on the bustling Santo Domingo Square, in the midst of the UNESCO-listed Cartagena Old Town, so the church is within walking distance of many historic Cartagena attractions.
When to Get There
The church is open from morning until early evening, and hosts Catholic Mass services throughout the week. Though you’re welcome to enter the church during mass, silence and no taking of photos is expected.
Plaza Santo Domingo
Though the square is named after Iglesia Santo Domingo, there’s much more to Plaza Santo Domingo than the church. Highlights of the square, which is particularly atmospheric after sunset, include the buxom Gertrude sculpture by Colombian artist Fernando Botero; houses with traditional wooden balconies; and the wide selection of restaurants and cafes that offer cocktails and freshly-caught seafood.
- Palace of Inquisition (Palacio de la Inquisicion)
- Bolivar Square (Plaza Bolivar)
- Gold Museum (Museo de Oro Zenu)
- Teatro Adolfo Mejia (Teatro Heredia)
- Cartagena Cruise Port
- Naval Museum of the Caribbean
- Cathedral of San Pedro Claver (Iglesia de San Pedro Claver)
- Cartagena Museum of Modern Art (Museo de Arte Moderno de Cartagena)
- Plaza de San Diego
- La India Catalina Monument
- Old Town Cartagena
- Las Bovedas
- Rafael Nuñez House Museum
- San Felipe de Barajas Castle (Castillo San Felipe de Barajas)
- Old Shoes Monument (Los Zapatos Viejos)