How to Spend a Rainy Day in Cancun
During the rainy season, it’s not uncommon for sun-drenched Cancun to be hit by a sudden thunderstorm. While these tropical showers don’t often last long, it’s best to stay on land until they’ve passed—but that doesn’t mean your plans are scuppered. From city museums to subterranean ecoparks, here are our top tips for making the most of your rainy day on Mexico’s Caribbean coast.
- Admire ancient artifacts at the Mayan Museum of Cancun, benefiting from skip-the-line entry to escape the rain faster.
- Browse for bargains in Cancun’s indoor malls, including Luxury Avenue, Plaza Caracol, and Kukulcan Plaza.
- Dry off over tequila and tacos in the Hotel Zone’s lively bars and restaurants.
- Rub shoulders with celebs at the Wax Museum, or get a glimpse of life below the waves (without getting wet) at the Interactive Aquarium.
- Explore indoor attractions in Playa del Carmen such as the 3D Museum of Wonders, Frida Kahlo Museum, or Cirque du Soleil, taking advantage of tours with hotel pickup to keep clear of rain.
- Dive into a dance studio to practice your fancy footwork in a bachata or salsa class.
- Join a tour of the Yucatan’s underground rivers and cenotes at the Kantun Chi Ecopark.
- Avoid evening showers by booking skip-the-line access to Cancun’s famous clubs.