St. Michael and St. Gudula Cathedral
Constructed over a period of three centuries, starting in the early 13th century, the St. Michael and St. Gudula Cathedral features architectural styles from Romanesque and Gothic to Renaissance. Stop at the cathedral on a small-group walking tour or all-day tour that covers highlights of both Brussels and Antwerp. While some tours simply drive past the church, its interiors are worth exploring. Noteworthy features include stained-glass windows, a baroque pulpit, a 16th-century marble-and-alabaster altarpiece, and a number of 17th-century statues (created to replace those destroyed by iconoclasts in the 16th century).
Things to Know Before You Go
The St. Michael and St. Gudula Cathedral is a must-visit for architecture and history fans.
Guided tours in French and Dutch are available with advance notice.
Concerts are held here regularly, and music is sometimes played on the cathedral’s 49-bell carillon.
How to Get There
The St. Michael and St. Gudula Cathedral is located in the heart of Brussels, about an 8-minute walk from the Grand Place. The nearest metro stations are Parc and Gare Centrale, each a 2- to 3-minute walk from the cathedral; both are served by lines 1 and 5 of the Brussels Metro.
When to Get There
Cathedral visiting hours are weekdays from 7am to 6pm, Saturdays from 3:30pm to 6pm, and Sundays from 2pm to 6pm. The archaeological site is open daily from 8am until 6pm, while the Treasury is open weekdays from 10am to 12:30pm and 2pm to 5pm, Saturdays from 10am to 3pm, and Sundays from 2pm to 5pm, except during liturgical services.
The Cathedral’s Peregrine Falcons
A family of peregrine falcons lives in the northern tower of the cathedral, making it a popular spot for local and visiting ornithology enthusiasts. Local bird experts are often on hand to answer any questions at the observation post, located in front of the cathedral on Rue du Bois Sauvage.
- Things to do in Zaventem
- Things to do in Bruges
- Things to do in Lille
- Things to do in Dordrecht
- Things to do in Rotterdam
- Things to do in Amsterdam
- Things to do in Luxembourg City
- Things to do in Marne-la-Vallée
- Things to do in Paris
- Things to do in Leeuwarden
- Things to do in Stansted Mountfitchet
- Things to do in Horley
- Things to do in Flanders
- Things to do in South Holland
- Things to do in Nord-Pas de Calais
- Royal Galleries of Saint Hubert (Les Galeries St-Hubert)
- MOOF Museum
- Belgian Comic Strip Center
- Brussels City Museum (Musée de la Ville de Bruxelles)
- Hard Rock Cafe Brussels
- Grand-Place (Grote Markt)
- Brussels Town Hall (Hotel de Ville)
- Musical Instruments Museum
- Museum of the Turn of the Century (Musée Fin-de-Siècle)
- Cinquantenaire District
- BELvue Museum
- Coudenberg (Former Palace of Brussels)
- Magritte Museum (Musée Magritte)
- Choco-Story Brussels: The Chocolate Museum
- Royal Museums of Fine Arts of Belgium