Mauna Loa Macadamia Nut Factory
When it comes to the macadamia nut, never has a nut been so difficult to crack but so tremendously easy to eat. Whether eaten whole, covered in chocolate, or crushed into a succulent brittle, the macadamia is a culinary staple of Hawaiian treats and desserts.
Luckily for travelers visiting Hilo, there is an entire factory and sprawling orchard devoted solely to the wonders of this nut. At the Mauna Loa Macadamia Nut Factory, a self-guided tour explains the process of harvesting these off-white nuts, from the lengthy and protracted growing process right up through roasting and canning. More than just a look at the production process, there are also recipes on the dozens of ways to consume a macadamia. From standard methods of baking them in cookies to wasabi or onion flavoring, even the most accomplished gourmands and foodies will likely pick up some tips. Best of all, free samples are often distributed in the visitor center gift shop, and from the moment you turn on Macadamia Road and make the three-mile drive through the orchard, everything about this farm experience seems tasty, engaging, and fresh.
Ways to experience Mauna Loa Macadamia Nut Factory
Browse. Filter. Book
What are Mauna Loa Macadamia Nut Factory hours of operation?
What's the best way to experience Mauna Loa Macadamia Nut Factory?
- Private Shore Excursion Tour - Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
- Hawai'i's Volcanoes National Park from Hilo Only
- Volcanoes National Park - from Kona
- Big Island Mountain Biking on Anna Ranch
Things to do near Big Island of Hawaii
- How to Get Off the Beaten Path on the Big Island of Hawaii
- How to Spend 3 Days on the Big Island
- How to Spend 1 Day on the Big Island
- Where to Stay on the Big Island of Hawaii
- Don't Miss These Must-Do Activities on the Big Island of Hawaii
- First-Timers Guide to the Big Island of Hawaii
- Things to Do on the Big Island of Hawaii This Summer