Yandai Byway (Yandai Xiejie)
Yandaixie Street, also known as Tobacco Pipe Lane, stretches from Di’anmen Street in the east to Front Lake (Qianhai) in the west, and crosses Xiaoshibei Hutong and Dashibei Hutong. It’s easy to visit Yandaixie Street independently, but with so much packed into a small area, it can be helpful to go on a guided tour, to easily navigate the area, and to learn more about the street’s long history.
Half-day tours tend to include nearby attractions, such as Drum Tower, Back Lake (Houhai), and area hutongs, as well as a meal, which can range from dumplings to dim sum to Peking duck. Full-day tours tend to include other popular Beijing attractions, such as Jingshan Park and the Temple of Heaven.
Things to know before you go
- Yandaixie Street is ideal for shoppers, history buffs, and architecture fans.
- It’s free to visit Yandaixie Street, but some area hutongs may charge a fee for a tour.
- Yandaixie Street is a good area to pick up souvenirs.
- Try your hand at bargaining for the best prices.
- Wear comfortable walking shoes as Yandaixie Street is best explored on foot.
How to get there
Yandaixie Street is located in central Beijing. By subway, take line 8 to Shichahai Station. A number of buses also stop nearby, including bus nos. 5, 60, 107, 124, and 635.
When to get there
Yandaixie Street can be visited at any time. It’s a popular shopping and cultural destination during the day and a lively nightlife spot in the evening. Visit by day and at night to get the full experience.
Origin of Yandaixie Street
During the Qing dynasty, there were many tobacco shops on this street, due to the popularity of smoking during that time. As a result, the street, which used to be known as Drum Tower Xie Street, became known as Yandaixie Street. Additionally, the shape of the street itself on a map is said to resemble a tobacco pipe. You can still find tobacco products on the street today.
- Things to do in Northern China
- Things to do in Tianjin
- Things to do in Datong
- Things to do in Shenyang
- Things to do in Jinan
- Things to do in Pingyao
- Things to do in Qufu
- Things to do in Xian
- Things to do in Incheon
- Things to do in Seoul
- Things to do in Eastern China
- Things to do in Northwest China
- Things to do in Taiyuan
- Things to do in Okinawa
- Things to do in Fukuoka Prefecture
- Drum Tower (Gulou)
- Prince Gong Mansion (Gong Wang Fu)
- Bell Tower (Zhonglou)
- Back Lakes (Hou Hai)
- Beihai Park (Beihai Gongyuan)
- Jingshan Park (Jingshan Gongyuan)
- Forbidden City (Palace Museum)
- Confucius Temple
- National Art Museum of China (NAMOC)
- Lama Temple (Yonghegong)
- Nine Dragon Screen at the Palace Museum
- Inner Court (Nei Ting)
- Imperial Garden of the Palace Museum