St. Joseph's Church
Over the years, St. Joseph’s Church has become not only an important venue for Catholics, but also a significant cultural site and a popular attraction for visitors to Beijing. Despite its imposing size and long history, the church remains off the radar for most tourists and rarely features on group sightseeing tours. If you’d like to see the church with a guide who can tell you more about its history, consider booking a private walking tour of Beijing.
Things to know before you go
- St. Joseph’s Church is an interesting stop for architecture buffs and spiritual travelers.
- Learn more about the history of the church on a private guided tour of Beijing.
- Remember to dress respectfully and keep your voice down, as this is an active place of worship.
How to get there
St. Joseph’s Church is located at 74 Wangfujing Street. The nearest subway station is Wangfujing. Sightseeing Bus 2 also stops nearby.
When to get there
The church is open daily to visitors, though hours may vary by season. Masses are held daily in Chinese and in English on Sunday afternoons. The façade is particularly beautiful when illuminated at night.
Top Beijing Religious Sites
Beijing is dotted with religious sites representing faiths from around the globe. Aside from St. Joseph’s Church, travelers won’t want to miss the Temple of Heaven, Confucian Temple, Beijing Lama Temple, and the Niujie Mosque.
- Things to do in Northern China
- Things to do in Tianjin
- Things to do in Datong
- Things to do in Shenyang
- Things to do in Jinan
- Things to do in Pingyao
- Things to do in Qufu
- Things to do in Xian
- Things to do in Incheon
- Things to do in Seoul
- Things to do in Eastern China
- Things to do in Northwest China
- Things to do in Taiyuan
- Things to do in Okinawa
- Things to do in Fukuoka Prefecture
- Donghuamen Night Market
- National Art Museum of China (NAMOC)
- Nine Dragon Screen at the Palace Museum
- Shijia Hutong Museum
- Wangfujing Street (Wangfujing Dajie)
- Inner Court (Nei Ting)
- Imperial Garden of the Palace Museum
- Treasure Gallery
- Meridian Gate (Wumen)
- Marco Polo Bridge (Lugou Qiao)
- Jingshan Park (Jingshan Gongyuan)
- National Museum of China (NAMOC)
- Tiananmen (Gate of Heavenly Peace)
- Forbidden City (Palace Museum)
- Monument to the People’s Heroes
- Beijing Suggested Itineraries
- Beijing Cuisine
- Climb the Great Wall
- Acrobatic Shows
- Beijing Temples
- Summer Palace Cruises in Beijing
- Exploring the Hutongs of Beijing
- How to Spend 3 Days in Beijing
- Know Before You Go: Visiting the Great Wall of China
- Guide to Climbing the Great Wall of China
- How to Spend 1 Day in Beijing
- Food Lover's Guide to Beijing