Oma Forest (Bosque de Oma)
Expressing the relationship between man and nature, Ibarrola painted dozens of Monterey pine trees with splashes of bright colors. He created this wonderful open-air art installation in thexa0 early 1980s. Some of the mysterious figures are only visible from certain vantage points, while others change depending on where you stand. Walk through the trees enjoying how your movements shape your perspective and experience of the work and the forest. Ask for a guided tour, available on summer weekends.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Oma Forest is an ideal spot for art and nature lovers.
- Admission is free.
- Download maps, audio and sign language guides of the work from the official site of the Provincial Council of Biscay.
- The forest is not wheelchair-accessible.
How to Get There
Oma Forest is located within the Urdaibai Biosphere Reserve at the mouth of the Oka river, just northeast of Kortezubi. From San Sebastian, drive about 1.5 hours west or take a bus or train via Bilbao. From Guernica, expect about a 15-minute drive north or take a train or bus to Kortezubi and continue to the forest by taxi or on foot for about 1.8 miles (3 kilometers). Parking is available on-site.
When to Get There
The artwork is open year-round, and is most visited during the summer months. From July through August, the park offers two guided tours a day on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays.
The Town of Guernica Demolished in a single air raid in 1937 during the Spanish Civil War, the town and tragedy of Guernica was immortalized by Pablo Picasso in his work of the same name. These days, the revitalized Guernica is a global symbol of peace, touring both an excellent Peace Museum (Museo de la Paz) and a peace park worth visiting. Walk up the hill to the Guernica oak tree, a historic symbol of Basque identity and autonomy.
- Things to do in Bilbao
- Things to do in San Sebastian
- Things to do in Aragón
- Things to do in Aquitaine
- Things to do in Castile and León
- Things to do in Santander
- Things to do in Zaragoza
- Things to do in Bordeaux
- Things to do in Segovia
- Things to do in Madrid
- Things to do in Midi-Pyrénées
- Things to do in Catalonia
- Things to do in Galicia
- Things to do in Languedoc-Roussillon
- Things to do in Loire Valley
- Santimamiñe Cave (Cueva de Santimamiñe)
- Guernica (Gernika)
- Euskadi Biodiversity Centre
- Urdaibai Biosphere Reserve (Urdaibai Reserva de la Biosfera)
- San Juan de Gaztelugatxe
- Butrón Castle (Castillo de Butrón)
- Artxanda Funicular (Funicular de Artxanda)
- Bizkaia Museum of Archaeology
- Basque Museum (Museo Vasco de Bilbao)
- Casco Viejo
- Zubizuri Bridge
- Arriaga Theatre (Teatro Arriaga)
- Bilbao's Santiago Cathedral