Lake Mummelsee, located along the Black Forest High Road scenic route, is the largest of seven mountain lakes remaining in the Black Forest. Perched 3,400 feet (1,036 meters) above sea level, the lake gets its name from the white water lilies, called ‘mummel’ in German, than float on its surface.
According to local lore, a bevy of water sprites live with their king in a glorious crystal palace far below the surface of the water, coming out only at night to dance in the moonlight. Mermaids aside, Lake Mummelsee is circumnavigated by a boardwalk for lakeside strolls, while paddle boats ply the surface. A short trail leads up to a lookout tower atop Hornisgrinde, the highest peak in the area, where visitors can take in panoramic views of the Black Forest.
Tours and tickets to Experience Lake Mummelsee
Should I book Lake Mummelsee tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit Lake Mummelsee 2021?
What's the best way to experience Lake Mummelsee?
- Black Forest Day Tour
- Private Black Forest Tour: Baden-Baden to Freiburg
- The best in Baden-Baden surroundings and Black Forest. Start from Baden-Baden
- Black Forest. From Baden-Baden to Freiburg and much more
Things to do near Baden-Württemberg
- Things to do in Stuttgart
- Things to do in Alsace
- Things to do in Bavaria
- Things to do in Central Switzerland
- Things to do in Strasbourg
- Things to do in Zurich
- Things to do in Basel
- Things to do in Frankfurt
- Things to do in Lucerne
- Things to do in Swiss Alps
- Things to do in Rhine River
- Things to do in Lake Geneva
- Things to do in Trentino-Alto Adige
- Things to do in Burgundy
- Things to do in Champagne