Casa Santo Domingo (Monasterio de Santo Domingo)
A single admission ticket grants you access to the Museums Promenade, a series of museums housed within the former church and convent of Santo Domingo and Santo Tomás de Aquino (Saint Thomas Aquinas) College. See religious artworks and sculptures from the 16th–19th centuries at the Colonial Museum; ceramic and stone Maya artifacts at the Archaeology Museum; a replica of a 19th-century apothecary at the Pharmacy Museum; candle-holders and other handcrafted items at the Silver Museum; and Maya objects juxtaposed with contemporary glass pieces at the Museum of Pre-Columbian Art and Modern Glass.
For a more in-depth experience, explore with a guide as part of a sightseeing tour of Antigua. Some tours focus on the city’s colonial past, while others focus on the artistic legacy of Antigua.
Things to know before you go
- With its characterful rooms and luxurious features, the monastery-turned-hotel is a must for visitors on a romantic getaway in Antigua.
- Spot resident macaws and view distant volcano peaks at the monastery’s well-manicured gardens.
- Find a restaurant and spa at the site.
How to get there
Casa Santa Domingo is just outside the center of Antigua. Walking from Antigua Central Park (Parque Central) takes just 10 minutes.
When to get there
The museum complex is open daily. There is no real bad time to visit, though it is quieter earlier in the day.
Antigua’s Colonial-Era Convents and Monasteries
As the former colonial capital of Guatemala, Antigua is littered with noteworthy religious buildings. Explore the 18th-century Las Capuchinas (Convento de las Capuchinas), a magnificent example of colonial architecture; La Recolección, an 18th-century monastery founded by French Franciscan monks; and the Antiguo Colegio de la Compañía de Jesús, a Jesuit monastery and college that has been converted into a cultural center.
- Things to do in Central Highlands
- Things to do in Guatemala City
- Things to do in Panajachel
- Things to do in San Pedro La Laguna
- Things to do in Puerto Quetzal
- Things to do in San Salvador
- Things to do in San Pedro Sula
- Things to do in San Ignacio
- Things to do in Hopkins
- Things to do in Belize City
- Things to do in León
- Things to do in Ambergris Caye
- Things to do in Roatan
- Things to do in Western Highlands
- Things to do in Pacific Highlands
- Las Capuchinas (Convento de Las Capuchinas)
- ChocoMuseo Antigua
- Jade Factory and Museum (Jade Maya)
- Catedral de Santiago (Antigua Cathedral)
- Museum of Colonial Art (Museo de Arte Colonial)
- Cerro de la Cruz (Hill of the Cross)
- Antigua Central Park (Parque Central)
- Church of San Francisco (Iglesia de San Francisco)
- La Merced Church (Iglesia de la Merced)
- Palace of the Captains General (Palacio de los Capitanes Generales)
- Santa Catalina Arch (Arco de Santa Catalina)
- Antigua City Hall (Palacio del Ayuntamiento)
- Pacaya Volcano