Old Church (Oude Kerk)
A visit to the Old Church—replete with tidbits about its history, architecture, and tombs—is included in many old town Amsterdam and red-light district (De Wallen) walking tours. To make the most out of your time in Amsterdam, pick up an I amsterdam City Card, which includes free admission to the Oude Kerk as well as other top Amsterdam attractions such as the Rijksmuseum and the Rembrandt House, plus free unlimited use of public transportation.
Things to Know Before You Go
The Old Church is a must for first-time visitors to Amsterdam.
Nearby attractions include the infamous red-light district and the Museum Amstelkring.
Climbing the church tower requires an additional fee.
Many areas of the church are accessible to wheelchairs and strollers.
How to Get There
The Old Church is just a short walk from Centraal Station and Dam Square. The church is difficult to reach by car, so plan on arriving by public transportation, bike, or on foot. From anywhere in central Amsterdam, take tram 4, 14, or 24 to Dam Square and then make the short 5-minute walk to the church.
When to Get There
The church is open 10am to 6pm Monday through Saturday and 1pm to 6:30pm Sunday. The Old Church sponsors an International Organ Festival each summer as well as year-round organ concerts and competitions. It also features rotating art exhibits and other special events throughout the year, so check the church calendar to see what’s happening during your visit.
The Oude Kerk Tower
The Old Church’s leaning bell tower looms over Amsterdam’s red-light district and offers fantastic views of the city. Guides lead visitors up the narrow spiral staircase and a series of step ladders to the top of the 220-feet (67-meter) high tower. The tower is open only Thursday and Friday from April to September, and it may be climbed only with a guide.
- Things to do in Rotterdam
- Things to do in Dordrecht
- Things to do in Leeuwarden
- Things to do in Zaventem
- Things to do in Bruges
- Things to do in Brussels
- Things to do in Lille
- Things to do in Luxembourg City
- Things to do in Stansted Mountfitchet
- Things to do in Cambridge
- Things to do in London
- Things to do in Hamburg
- Things to do in North Holland
- Things to do in South Holland
- Things to do in Flanders
- Red Light Secrets (Museum of Prostitution)
- Museum Our Lord in the Attic (Ons' Lieve Heer op Solder)
- Museum of Medieval Torture Instruments
- Body Worlds Amsterdam
- Venustempel Sex Museum
- Dam Square
- New Market Square (Nieuwmarkt)
- Amsterdam Red Light District (De Wallen)
- St. Nicholas Basilica (Sint Nicolaasbasiliek)
- Hash Marihuana & Hemp Museum
- National Monument (Nationaal Monument op de Dam)
- New Church (Nieuwe Kerk)
- Ripley's Believe It or Not! Amsterdam
- Madame Tussauds Amsterdam